We’re back with part two of our Instagram SEO tips.
If you missed it, here’s what we’re talking about:
Instagram SEO is the strategic placement of keywords in your captions, handle, name, and bio to get your posts to rank higher in Instagram’s search engine.
Like any search algorithm, the purpose is to show content that reflects what your audience is searching for.
While it’s a more long-term strategy than paid ads, Instagram SEO is a worthy investment. In fact, 81% of users use the platform to research products and services.
Okay, onto the magic – how to actually do IG SEO.
Step 5: Use keyword hashtags in your posts
Users can still search by keywords, so treat hashtags like keywords by using a mix of exact-match, broad-match, short-tail, and long-tail terms to describe your products.
Keywords can also help you:
- Build community.
- Source user-generated content.
- Run campaigns, like contests and giveaways.
All of these will increase the number of views and tags your brand gets, which in turn will increase your authority in Instagram’s search engine.
Here’s an example from Skin Juice, which shows up in the results for “#skincareforoilyskin.”
Step 6: Encourage customers to tag your brand
Just like how high-quality, natural backlinks from published articles can boost the authority of an article in Google, getting tagged on Instagram tells the algorithm that you’re a credible business.
Unfortunately, getting tagged isn’t within your control.
But there are ways to encourage your customers to do it for you – like these three examples:
- Host a contest or giveaway and ask customers to tag your brand to be entered.
- Send free products to influencers to start a relationship. Don’t ask them to post – sending free products can lead to organic posting.
- Share a referral link with loyal customers. Some may share it on their Instagram profile to refer friends and family (and to get those referral points).
Step 7: Start writing alternative text
Certain keywords in your alt. text can help your posts be discovered.
However, keep in mind the main purpose of alt. text is for people with visual impairments to experience your posts through assistive technology.
In the alt. text section of each post, describe the main object in the image (whether that be a person or a product) and the objects around them.
Step 8 (FINAL STEP!): Track your metrics in Instagram Analytics
Your metrics will tell you what’s working, not working, and help you identify areas of opportunity.
Remember, Instagram SEO is a long-term strategy. Once you have a few months of metrics to look at, a few key areas to keep an eye on include
- Impressions: The number of people who saw your post.
- Engagement rate: Likes, comments, shares, and saves on individuals posts or your account as a whole (between 1% and 3.5% is average).
- Profile visits: The number of people who visit your profile (by searching it, or after viewing a post).
- Website visits: The number of people who click the link in your bio.
- Follower growth: How much are you growing week-over-week, based on how many people are discovering you?